Saturday, March 28, 2009

PESO 2009 #011

I met two lenses today. A friend of mine came from the United States. He brought a whole bag of Pentax gear, but most interesting for me were DA* 16-50/2.8 and DA* 50-135/2.8 lenses. The first one is very good, but just that - very good. The second one is quite remarkable. The SDM motor is absolutely silent but I couldn't say if it is faster or in any other way better than old screwdriver system. Though it works absolutely fine with my K10D. Enough talking.

Him, two of his brothers (notably Nikonians) and myself went to Caesaria park today. So here is a sequence of few shots.

I approached the spot I thought could be used to show the strong waves that were there. I had been basically certain that I am far from the reach of salty water.



Then, some 15 seconds later the wave came. This and two shots that follow were taken within 2 seconds.





At this moment all my left side was soaking wet and salty.



So I finally chickened and ran away. After a brief wipe with the piece of cloth both the camera and the lens were just like before - no signs of being splashed with the Mediterranean waters.

I used DA* 50-135/2.8 to take some portraits so that I am going to have to obtain permission to publish these shots before I put them here.

All in all, Pentax did a great job, only if QA/QC issues of DA* 16-50/2.8 could be sorted out completely...

No comments: